The Department of Biological Chemistry was established in 1908 to foster both basic research and teaching at the Johns Hopkins University Medical School. The driving force for forming such a department was John Jacob Abel, an early Professor at the Johns Hopkins University who had strong roots in chemistry and medicine. Attesting to his strong interest in “biological chemistry” Abel was the founding editor of the Journal of Biological Chemistry and was instrumental in founding the American Society of Biological Chemistry (now the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.) This early start led to a long tradition of excellence in basic science at the Johns Hopkins Medical School.
From its inception the department has been at the forefront of research and pre- and post-doctoral training. The present graduate program in Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology (BCMB) in the Medical School grew out of one of the first graduate Biochemistry training grants awarded to the department by the National Institutes of Health in the 1950’s. The current graduate program in Biological Chemistry includes approximately 30 students. Numerous eminent researchers have received their training in our graduate programs.
The Department of Biological Chemistry continues to be in the forefront of cutting-edge research. Our seventeen primary faculty members and colleagues are making great strides to generate and disseminate new knowledge and original concepts in biochemistry and molecular biology through creative research and scholarship.
Our department is committed to teaching medical, graduate and post-doctoral students to be life-long independent learners and thinkers and to instill in them the enthusiastic drive to achieve any goal their imagination can conceive.
The department is forever finding new and better ways to teach and promote interaction while maintaining its long tradition of integrity and excellence among the future leaders in medical practice, academic medicine, and biomedical research in our department.